Fish Heads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally some trout - Euro Style

5 posters

Go down

Finally some trout - Euro Style Empty Finally some trout - Euro Style

Post by Passinthru Outdoors Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:13 pm

I had some time to kill last week so I decided to make a trek down to a TMA - Trout Management area - that I don't fish often but is the perfect water for doing some Euro Nymphing. Not sure how many folks here fish czech or european nymphing style but last year I decided to give it a try and see if it helped improve my nymphing.

Finally some trout - Euro Style SalmonRiverTMASign

For what ever reason I have trouble nymphing with an indicator. I do well dead drifting or hi sticking as it seems more natural to me so I decided to try Czech and Euro style nymping. Main difference between the two is short leader vs long leader and the strike indicator.

I love the concept of a Coiled mono sighter as this thing gives away any, and I mean any, change in the drift of the fly. If you have never tried it or seen it do a google search and you will find plenty of information. Anyway, having direct contact with the flies just seems to make me a better nymph fisherman.

So I got on the water about 10am and was greeted with a pretty good contingent of fly fisherman with the same idea so I hiked up the gated road to find some peace and quiet - ok, actually to find a spot where people wouldn't be able to see me and laugh me off the river. Very Happy

There wasn't much bug activity above the surface but that was fine with me as I was nymphing. Started out with a woven rubberleg stone and a small PT. I didn't have much luck and after having to retie thanks to the rocky bottom I tied on a woven polish nymph size 10 and a size 14 Soft Hackle BH PT nymph tied on a scud hook and the SH BH PT was the ticket as it accounted for all my fish on this trip. Second drift and I hooked into a nice fish that when she turned sideways she was shaped like a football but she came unbuttoned. I almost dove in after here but the water was still cold.

Finally some trout - Euro Style SalmonRiverTMATrout

Fishing the same spot I hooked into another rainbow and this one came to net. bigger then the typical stocking at about 13 inches. She put up a great battle. Then another rainbow came on the same PT nymph and another miss and it was time to go as I had to pick up my daughter and then my son.

Finally some trout - Euro Style SalmonRiverTMATroutCR

All fish caught were released to fight another day, albeit maybe just a tad smarter. These trout were much needed.

Passinthru Outdoors
Lil' Black Stonefly

http://www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Finally some trout - Euro Style Empty Re: Finally some trout - Euro Style

Post by Dell Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:44 am

Glad to see there are other folks on here interested in Euro nymphing! Nice report! Curly sighters are second to none in strike detection. Something else they are good for is using them as a floating indicator in frog water, just grease it up with some Mucilin Paste and it will suspend a team of small nymphs.
Dell
Dell
Lil' Crawdad

Back to top Go down

Post by milliam Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I still have to give those curly things another try.

Great report and pretty pictures!
milliam
milliam
Rainbow Trout

Back to top Go down

Post by troutmanbrook Wed May 04, 2011 8:36 pm

I have been using a Czech nymph, but not quite got the style down. I will use tandem rigs though.
troutmanbrook
troutmanbrook
Stinky Bear Poop

http://troutmanbrook.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Owl Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Man TMB, you'll have the rod to do it with now! Smile
Owl
Owl
Admin

https://fishheads.forumotion.com