Fish Heads
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What "non-fishin" activities do you do?

+6
Owl
cofisher
Paymaster
Passinthru Outdoors
milliam
Floggin Water
10 posters

Go down

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? Empty What "non-fishin" activities do you do?

Post by Floggin Water Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:31 am

As much as it pains me to say it - there's more to life than fishing, and thankfully there's more than just work beyond that. What do you folks like to do when you're not fishing, working, or partaking in some aspect of either?

Myself - I've got a few other "interests" - the longest running is martial arts, specifically traditional style tae kwon do. Been practicing since I was 9 (almost 21 years!). There've been a couple hiatuses from my training - but it's not something you can really just quit once you've done it for a while. You always come back - unless a piano or something falls on you and squishes you. I was inspired early on by some senior citizens who'd started up in their 60's, and have stuck with it to this day. One old timer is going on 82 years old, he started about two years before I did. Keeps him going, I think!

Couple of the more recent pix taken of me - these were from a tournament last year. These are from board breaking competitions.

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? T7fors

That was a speed break - I held the board with my off hand, and performed a knife hand through it, then quickly spun and did a spinning hook kick through another board only held loosely by two corners...

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? B3kk5h

That was my first competition in ten years, and I managed to take first in the breaking competition Smile Also took home awards in the fighting and patterns divisions... not bad for being rusty!

My power break at the last competition I went to, I broke a stack of 6 1" thick boards w/ a spinning side kick, along with the speed break like I did above. Placed in that one too, but didn't take first that time.

Here's one of a much younger, more energetic me - with my favorite sparring partner. This one was taken either just as I was jumping, or just as I was landing...Been too long to remember which one.**** I wish I had my 18 year old body again...

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? 10r2yvm

Aside from my martial arts training - I'm an avid firearms enthusiast, an old computer geek, and a gamer. Current fav games are Fallout New Vegas, and Modern Warfare 2 - both for the PS3. They're good ways to pass the time, when I can't be out fishing. bounce

Floggin Water
Flanker Fish

http://waterfloggin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? Empty Re: What "non-fishin" activities do you do?

Post by milliam Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Hmmm...note to self, don't leave your good boards around Floggin Water. That's funny...sounds like a name an Indian would have. I know a guy who's 70 and could easily pass for 50. He says martial arts is what has kept him young. He no longer spars though as he's seen lots of bad injuries from it, but the stretching is really good. I need to do some of that stuff myself. I've always been facinated with the martial arts, but never got the chance to get into it. Used to always want to be a ninja Laughing .

I too am a firearms enthusiast...shooter, reloader, etc. Pretty much everything, pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc. etc.

I also hunt deer and some birds and hunt with and shoot a recurve bow.

Other than that...I like to make things. It doesn't really matter what. I just tend to pile my plate to high with my projects though.
milliam
milliam
Rainbow Trout

Back to top Go down

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? Empty Re: What "non-fishin" activities do you do?

Post by Passinthru Outdoors Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Outside of fishing I'm an avid hunter (deer, turkey, waterfowl) (Bow, Muzzle Loader, shotgun, rifle) and also a certified hutner education instructor for the State of CT.

hey, wait a minute....why am I helping Floggin Water get contest points!!! Mad

Passinthru Outdoors
Lil' Black Stonefly

http://www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paymaster Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 pm

I cook Backyard BBQ.

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? 4-2Brisky12

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? 4-2Brisky6

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? Ribsrsd
Paymaster
Paymaster
Stinky Bear Poop

Back to top Go down

Post by cofisher Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 am

Oh Paymaster! How much would it cost me to have you make me some of that stuff and send it to Colorado? I'm not sure what that cut is in the top photo but I've got to have some.
cofisher
cofisher
Lil' Black Stonefly

http://www.cofisher.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Owl Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 am

Paymaster. How is anyone supposed to follow that? Smile LOL ( Paymaster is also the pitmaster extreme, too...but I guess you can see that! )

In addition to blogging, website creation, fly tying, and fishing I am into the following:

video games ( but I hardly have time anymore)
motorcycles ( don't own one.....right now.)
movie making ( although I'm not very good at it)
grilling ( although I'm no Paymaster for sure)
shooting
political activist stuff ( I'm an Independent Conservative Constitutionalist)
photography ( anyone wanna buy some Smokies nature shots?)

and...hmmm..I guess that's about it.

Oh and watching football when it's on. We watch way more football than we should - but the upside is that I no longer have to explain the corner blitz to my wife. Smile
Owl
Owl
Admin

https://fishheads.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by troutmanbrook Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 am

cofisher wrote:Oh Paymaster! How much would it cost me to have you make me some of that stuff and send it to Colorado? I'm not sure what that cut is in the top photo but I've got to have some.
I believe its beef brisket.
I love music (Bluegrass, Country music (Real country like hank sr)) I love to play music (guitar, mandolin, banjo, harmonica) though, not very well. I deep fried a eggo waffle today, it was surprisingly good. Wink
troutmanbrook
troutmanbrook
Stinky Bear Poop

http://troutmanbrook.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:54 am

I too wanted to be a ninja when I grew up...still have my fingers crossed. Aside from fishing I'm really into music (if it has strings on it I play it) and I'm a bit of a beer connoisseur and an arm chair football coach for the SEC and the NFL.
Dell
Dell
Lil' Crawdad

Back to top Go down

Post by Labrador Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

add me to the wanting to be a ninja list!
Labrador
Labrador
Lil' Black Stonefly

http://www.bryanwlodar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milliam Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Do yall remember the show back in the early 80's (I guess) where the old guy was a ninja and I think he was training a young kid. It was on for maybe one season before they canned it. The old guy used his powers for good of course and could just touch a bad guy and put him down. That sure fueled my fire to be a ninja. I almost bought the shoes and everything. Ended up with just a couple of throwing stars and some nunchucks.
milliam
milliam
Rainbow Trout

Back to top Go down

Post by theriverdamsel Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh my goodness...that Paymanster BBQ looks great! Very Happy I love London Broil!!! Let's all meet over at his place for a blogger bbq! My non-fishing activities include...started the gym routine again-1 hr ea day, bowling, skiing, tennis, watching movies, and watching all of my son's athletic contests all year round! Baseball, Basketball, Football...
theriverdamsel
theriverdamsel
Lil' Black Stonefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Owl Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 pm

London what? Cool
Owl
Owl
Admin

https://fishheads.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paymaster Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:25 pm

theriverdamsel wrote:Oh my goodness...that Paymanster BBQ looks great! Very Happy I love London Broil!!! Let's all meet over at his place for a blogger bbq! My non-fishing activities include...started the gym routine again-1 hr ea day, bowling, skiing, tennis, watching movies, and watching all of my son's athletic contests all year round! Baseball, Basketball, Football...

That is Beef Brisket,smoked low and slow for fourteen hours.Good stuff!
Thanks for the nice comments y'all!

Love to watch my Grandkid's sports activities. My 11 year old grandson was the closer in the first baseball game today.He has a good arm for his age.They won BTW!
Paymaster
Paymaster
Stinky Bear Poop

Back to top Go down

Post by Paymaster Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 pm

I love to tie and I also art up the lids of fly boxes. Always loved doodling,so I decided to add that to my tyin.

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? Abox

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? NicsBox

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? Lask1

What "non-fishin" activities do you do? 1WEBox
Paymaster
Paymaster
Stinky Bear Poop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum