Light rods, heavy rods, or in between?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Light rods, heavy rods, or in between?

Post by Floggin Water on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:07 am

When I started fly fishing, I read every book, magazine, internet article, or hand scratched note I could find on the subject. Everyone was dead set back then that a 5 or 6 weight graphite rod was THE best beginner stick out there. The faster the better, so you could huck that #2 Muddler Minnow across the lake.

THe first rod I bought for myself was an 8'6" graphite/glass blend that was super cheap, had a cheap foam handle, cheap plastic reel seat, and a cheap action. Nicest thing about it was the Medalist reel, which I'd borrowed "indefinitely" from my brother. I loaded it up with a double tapered #6 line (since every book touted the DT for it's ability to be reversed if you wear one end out...) and thought I was set!

Over the years, I've had fast rods, slow rods, light rods, heavy rods, and in-between rods. I personally have settled on the lighter end of the spectrum for my general fishing - then again, I also settled in on smaller waters with smaller fish as my favored and most cherished places to fish.

My #1 favorite, most fished rod, is an 8' 4 weight, that I underline with a DT 3 line. Other rods that i've loved almost as much were my Cabela's Three Forks 3 weight, and my TFO 6' 2 weight - that rod was a sweet heart, and I had to sell it because I needed cash. I'm planning on replacing it this summer with either their 6' or 6'6" 2 weight... my favorite fly shop owner said he'd sell me a package deal, rod, reel, fly line, and backing for less than $200 whenever I was ready to buy cheers

For me - 5 weights are on the heavy end of the spectrum I normally fish. I don't currently have a rod heavier than my 5/6 glass rod - I sold my 10 weight because we've got a baby coming, and the cash from it was more useful than a rod that only got fished a couple times a year. It'll eventually get replaced with a more useful 6 or 7 weight rod - a good carping rod, steelhead rod, and big streamer rod for trout fishing...

Since my favorite fish to fish for are panfish and small stream trout - I simply adore rods in the 2-4 weight range, and if I ever find a good deal on one, I want to snatch up an Orvis 1 weight, or if I ever get rich enough, one of those Sage 0 weight rods (though, how can you have a "0" weight? 0 means nothing... stop me before I get all philosophical!)

I get tired of casting heavy 6, 7, or 8 weight (or heavier) rods all day. They're just not as much fun to cast or fish with. My personal best on a light fly rod was a sweet trout of about 15 or 16 inches, taken on a dry fly on a small stream that shall remain unnamed. That was a PIG of a fish for that stream, and would be a good fish in just about any of the waters I fish - big or small.

What do you fine folks like to fish with?

Floggin Water
Flanker Fish

View user profile http://waterfloggin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Light rods, heavy rods, or in between?

Post by Dell on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 am

I'm the other end of that spectrum, I prefer 9 or 10 footers for everything. In fact even on tight brookie streams I use a 8'6" 5 wt. Why you ask, well because I'm poor and it's the smallest rod I own...lol...I've been eyeing one of those TFO finesse rods in a 389 for brookies for a few years but, there's always something else I need more. Anway, in summary I like 'em big and fast just like my...er...well nevermind...
Dell
Lil' Crawdad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by milliam on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:51 pm

I started out with a Sears and Roebuck fiberglass rod. I guess it was a 6wt. and probably about 7.5 feet. Threw level line on that for bream in the local ponds for I don't know how long. Advance (yeah, right) to a South Bend graphite/glass rod with the foam handle. That lasted a bit before I really got into it and bought a 6wt. Bass Pro rod.

I finally started adding to the collection and got a 3 wt. Cabelas Three Forks. That is one nice rod for the money. Its been my go to rod for most everything except bass. I also aquired a St. Croix 8' 3wt (Thanks Jeff!) and now it takes precedent over the Cabelas rod.

I finally got around to upgrading the 6wt. as well and went with a TFO. Can't say that I like it all that much as its heavy. I got the cheap one of course.

So, I'd say I like the lighter rods and usually 8' or less, but if I'm hitting big water or a lake for bass, then I'll be throwing a 9' 6wt more than likely.

Floggin...that TFO right you're talking about sounds sweet. Tell your flyshop guy you want 2 of them and I'll take the other off your hands Laughing .
milliam
Rainbow Trout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Owl on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm

@ Dell - women? Razz

Admin

View user profile http://fishheads.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:57 am

And cars... Laughing
Dell
Lil' Crawdad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cliftz on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

I began with a 7 weight, and then went down to a 3 weight, and worked my way up to a 9 weight, now i'm mostly a 4/5/6. All 9 footers. I like the rod to be a little snappy and fast.
cliftz
Lil' Black Stonefly

View user profile http://ghettoflyfishing.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by narwhal on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 pm

I started with a 6wt. Added an awesome 1wt, then a 4wt to the mix. Then an 8wt for salt trips.

I then moved to Alaska and went a little crazy..... current tally is:
1-1wt
1-4wt
3-6wts
2-7wts
5-8wts
2-10wts
1-11wt
1-13/15wt
1-7wt spey
1-9wt spey
1-6/7 switch

I think that is all....... Shocked But I have some in the plans including a 9wt, 12wt and a eventually I may even acquire a ....gasp....5wt fly rod!!!!

narwhal
Lil' Black Stonefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BADKARMA on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm

You gotta just to make the numbers work out, right!?
BADKARMA
Lil' Black Stonefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum